Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day, and, though it's late, I thought you all might like to glance at a few of our moms (and grandmoms, and great-grandmoms, and so on) from years ago. And let's think about the way most of them had to do laundry. 

I look around my own kitchen right now and see my dishwasher, my microwave, my stove and refrigerator. As my food cooks this evening, I also have the AC blowing in my face, and my fans are stirring up a hurricane.

My own mother actually did wash clothing in the spring, at least for a while--and I'm not referring to the season here; I'm talking about the sort of spring you find in the woods, where the water seeps (or sometimes gushes) out of a slope. Considering what people had to do just to appear somewhat clean, is it any wonder that they changed only their detachable collars but wore the same dress or shirt more than one time?
Doing laundry in 1901
Anyway, here's laundry in the 1880's:

And at the bottom of this post, look at all these mothers, and remember that, if they themselves didn't scrub clothes by hand, their mothers or grandmothers probably did.

I've included a couple of links for you to glance at while you relax in comfort in your kitchen and the dishwasher chugs along.

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/history-of-washing-clothes.aspx
http://www.dishwasherrequired.com/laundry-in-victorian-times/
Anna Thead of Theadville, MS
Annie Moriah Brown
Janis Boyles Wilson and her mother Beulah
Maggie Evalina Skinner Alawine, mother of 16
Mark Thead's mother
Robbie Harmon Thead and granddaughter Erin Thead
Mary Thead Olhausen
Mark Thead's maternal grandmother


No comments:

Post a Comment